You do not need to have professional experience in the field but we expect sitters to have at least 3 years of experience with pets (dogs and cats).
You just have to love pets and be willing to put in the effort and work to care for them. You do need dedication, organizational and communication skills, and a safe, caring environment in which to welcome your guests. Owning and loving a pet is not the same thing as caring for them, however, so make sure you want to accept the responsibilities that come with sitting other people's pets.
You must be at least 18 years of age to become a sitter and dog walker on Pawshake.
Pawshake is the perfect opportunity for pet lovers. Here are just some of the benefits that we offer:
- Flexibility and control over your schedule and the rates you charge
- The Pawshake Guarantee, which includes veterinary coverage for each booking
- 24/7 online customer support
- Safe, secure, and convenient online payments - get paid doing what you love
- Attracting and connecting pet owners with your services
So what does it take to be a Pawshake pet sitter?
Pawshake pet sitters are required to:
- Have a passion for and experience with caring for pets
- Available at least 2 weekdays (this is when pet parents need a pet sitter the most)
- Conduct themselves in a professional and polite manner
- Take commitment, responsibility and reliability seriously when looking after pets
- Be patient and compassionate when working with pets
- Follow the Pawshake pet sitter profile standards
Please think about how the above requirements can fit into your schedule and external commitments before you apply as a pet sitter. Pet parents depend on pet sitters to be 100% committed to caring for their pets, so please don't start your application if you are not ready.
What are the services you can offer on Pawshake?
Dog Boarding - 24-hour overnight care for a dog in your home
Doggy Day Care - Care for a dog during the day in your home. The dog gets picked up on the same day
Pet Sitting (home visits) - Drop-in visits to a pet’s home to check up on them
Dog Walking - Visit the dog’s home and walk them
House Sitting - Stay with pets in their own environment while their owner is away
For more details of the requirements within these services, please refer to our service expectations.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
- How many dogs can I accept at one time?
- I work part-time/have an uncertain working schedule can I still pet sit?
- Do I need to pay or declare my Pawshake earning for taxes?
- I have a pet myself, can I still pet sit other pets?
- Do you also accept pet sitters for cats or other animals?
- What are the legal requirements to petsit?
- Are there any fees I have to pay as a pet sitter?
Have you read the above and feel that you are ready to be a pet sitter? Then we’d love to hear from you. Join thousands of other pet sitters who have the same dedication and passion for pets as you do! Start your application here.