Although the likelihood of this is very rare, sometimes an incident may occur during a booking that is unexpected and unavoidable. Communication and preparation are vital in dealing with an emergency.
Please follow our guidelines below:
Before the booking begins:
- Always have the guest pet owner's contact details and the details of an emergency contact (a local friend, family member or colleague) who you can reach out to if the guest pet owner is not able to be contacted.
- Keep a copy of the guest pet's regular veterinary clinic from the pet owner.
- Be sure to have a copy of all the pet's medical information, including vaccination and microchip details, as well as any relevant medications or treatment.
During the emergency:
- If the emergency situation presents a threat to human life or property and requires immediate action, move quickly and take steps to alert the authorities - such as immediately calling the police, fire station or ambulance.
- If the guest pet is sick or injured and clearly requires veterinary care (or you suspect the guest pet requires veterinary care), please call the vet immediately or make arrangements to bring in the guest pet for care.
- If the guest pet in your care runs away, please contact your local council with the guest pet's microchip details and description. It's also a good idea to drive around the local area, speak to neighbours, distribute missing pet posters and post on local community social media pages.
- Once these steps have been taken, please contact the guest pet owner and/or their emergency contact as soon as possible. It is absolutely essential they are kept informed and updated about what is going on.
- Finally, please contact the Pawshake team via our help centre and select 'I'm experiencing an emergency during a booking' as the reason. Our support team will endeavour to get back to you within the hour. We have staff online all day, every day to give advice and help support you through difficult situations.
After the emergency
- Please keep the Pawshake team and the guest pet owner informed of any developments in the situation.
- If necessary, let us know if the booking needs to be cancelled.
- Review The Pawshake Guarantee carefully with the guest pet owner and keep all documentation and receipts in the case that a claim can be made.