Cancelling a booking
Via our website
- To locate the booking that has to be cancelled, click on Messages > Confirmed bookings.
- Click on the booking. Below the booking details, click on the button which states 'Cancel booking'.
- You will be redirected to a page that informs you of your sitter's cancellation policy and how you will be refunded. Select the reason for the cancellation, write a message to inform your sitter of the cancellation, and finally click on the 'Cancel booking' button right at the bottom of the page to officially process the cancellation.
Via the Android and iOS mobile application
- To locate the booking that has to be cancelled, tap on Messages > Confirmed bookings.
- Click on the booking. At the top right corner of your screen, you will see an (i) icon. Click on that and you will be redirected to booking details screen.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of the booking details screen and click on the 'Cancel booking' button to officially process the cancellation.
If you are unable to self-cancel the booking, our Customer Support team are happy to help you out. Contact Customer Support to request a cancellation here.
Please mention the reason for the cancellation, as well as the reference number of the booking. Make sure that your pet sitter is aware of your intention to cancel.
Requesting a change
At present, you can’t change a booking yourself, but we want to make this possible in the future.
In the meantime, if you want or need to change a booking, you have two options:
Either: Cancel the booking yourself, and re-book according to your needs
Or: Inform your pet sitter of the change and send a message to our customer service to have it processed.
We can change a booking for you only under the following circumstances
- The status is "Confirmed" (not "Awaiting confirmation" or "Contact").
- The total value of the booking will be the same or less after the change (e.g. shorter period or same duration but different dates, fewer pets, less expensive service)
Please mention the reference number of the booking in question, as well as what exactly needs to be changed. Make sure that the sitter is aware and has stated their consent to the change on the booking chat. If the new booking amount is lower than before, we will refund the difference.
If you are in any other situation, here's what you need to do in order to make that change:
|Extending the duration of the booking||Make another booking with your sitter to cover the additional days.|
|Changing to a more expensive service||Cancel the booking online, and then make a new booking.|
|Including more pets in the booking||See above|
|Status is "Contact" and I want to change the service||You haven't yet finalised and paid for the booking yet. You can archive the conversation and visit the pet sitter's profile, click on "Book now" and choose your new service.|
|Status is "Contact" and I want to change the number of pets||Click on "Book now", which brings you to the check-out page. There you can add or remove pets from the booking, and the amount will be automatically recalculated.|
|Status is "Awaiting confirmation"||Ask your sitter to confirm the booking before requesting the change|
Trying to book again with the same sitter, but the days are not available in their calendar?
This means that the sitter has blocked them out - usually in anticipation of the booking you had originally made. Please ask the sitter to open them up for you through your ongoing conversation thread.
What's the cancellation policy?
Please keep in mind that your refund depends on your pet sitter's cancellation policy. Pawshake pet sitters can choose their cancellation policy among the following options:
Flexible cancellation policy: Full refund if pet owner cancels by 12:00pm (noon) one day before the service begins. 50% refund for the cancelled days if cancelled after 12:00pm (noon) the day before the service begins.
Moderate cancellation policy: Full refund if pet owner cancels by 12:00pm (noon) 7 days before the service begins. 50% refund for the cancelled days if cancelled after 12:00pm (noon) 7 days before the service begins.
No refund is possible if cancellation is on, or after, the day the service is due to start.
Home visits, home boarding and housesitting can have a Flexible or Moderate cancellation policy, as chosen by the sitter.
Dog walking and Doggy Daycare always have a Flexible cancellation policy.
Make sure to check your sitter’s cancellation policy before you book.
Sometimes there can be an extenuating circumstance that may cause the sitter to want to waive their cancellation policy, for example when a pet owner has to cancel due to a death in the family, the death of the pet, or other tragic circumstances. If the sitter has agreed to grant a full refund, please include a screenshot of their message confirming this, or contact our customer service in order to confirm this.
If the sitter is the one to initiate the cancellation, it's the sitter who should contact customer support. Read more about cancellations from the sitter's point of view here.